Monday, November 16, 2020

Prayer Before Work (Working from Home)

 I thought about calling this "Prayer Before Work (COVID-19 Edition)" because so many more people are working from home since the pandemic began. Or maybe you are like me and were working remotely before. In any case, I found I needed to update the old Prayer Before Work that I shared here some years back because it refers to entering a workplace, walls, and traveling and such. That's not so applicable when working from home. :) So I updated this and figured I'd share for anyone else. I try to pray it before settling in to starting work each day. 

I did not write the original, even though I tweaked it from the one I found before sharing in 2012. I do not remember where I found it. I have some vague memory it was on an Orthodox blog, but searching now it is all over the place, making it harder to attribute. Anyways, it's a good prayer regardless of where it originated. 

---

My Heavenly Father, as I enter into my work, I bring your Presence with me. I speak Your peace, Your grace, Your mercy, and Your perfect order into our endeavors today.

I acknowledge Your power over all that will be spoken, thought, decided, and done within my company. Lord, I thank You for the gifts with which you have blessed me. I commit to using them responsibly in Your honor. 

Give me a fresh supply of strength to do my job. Anoint my projects, ideas, and energy so that even my smallest accomplishment may bring You glory. Grant me keenness of mind so that all that I set my mind to will bear good fruit; grant me also focus, freedom from distraction, and diligence, so that I may begin and complete my work in justice. 

Lord, when I am confused, guide me. When I am weary, energize me. When I am burned out, infuse me with the light of Your Holy Spirit. May the work that I do and the way I do it bring faith, joy, and a smile to all that I come in contact with today. 

And Lord, when I complete my work today, give me mercy. Bless my family and home to be in order as I return to them.

Lord, I thank you for everything You've done, everything You're doing, and everything You're going to do. In the Name of Jesus I pray, with much love and thanksgiving.

Amen.